Horny Toad Margarita
Mexican Barbecue Party Kickstarter
Aah, the Margarita... This fantastic Mexican cocktail is probably the most popular drink in the world. The Margarita recipe is a devine mix of Tequila, orange liquor and fresh lime juice. It is easy to make and results in a beautiful blend of flavours.
It is difficult not to fall in love with the Margarita cocktail. The taste of a well mixed Margarita has a bit of everything. It is a delicate balance of sweet, sour, bitter and salt, with neither of these dominating. And then there is the unique aroma of tequila...
This particular Margarita recipe is one of our all-time favourites.
Friends call this Margarita mix the "Horny Toad Margarita", referring to the Tequila Sauza "Hornitos", a 100% Agave Tequila, which is the main ingredient in this noble concoction.
For this Horny Toad Margarita recipe you will need the following ingredients.
The quantities mentioned are sufficient for 4 great Margaritas, or 3 Super Margaritas.
|5 fld. ounces|
|4 fld. ounces|
|6 fld. ounces|
|Tequila Sauza Hornitos|
|Lime Juice *), freshly squeezed|
|Sea Salt, half course, no iodine|
|Lime Slices or Wedges *) (for decoration)|
|Ice cubes, coarsely crushed|
*) For clarity, by "limes" we mean those round green lemons. (if you can't get limes, use lemons instead. The taste is not the same, but it's a whole lot better than nothing!)
Shaking a proper Margarita goes as follows:
- Squeeze limes until you have 6 fld ounces of juice; Usually this will take about 4 limes;
- Put salt on a soup plate;
- Wet the rim of each glass with lime juice, put the glass upside down on the soup plate and swirl around to collect a nice band of salt, giving it that nice frosted look; (We like to make our own half course salt by crushing course sea salt in a mortar; The uneven size of the resulting crushed salt particles makes for an extra nice "icy" look of the salt rim!)
- Cut one lime in half, cut one half into 4 wedges; Cut wedges about halfway through and stick 'm on the rim of the glass for decoration;
- Pour the tequila, cointreau, lime juice and 3 or 4 icecubes in a cocktailshaker;
- Crush remainder of ice cubes and distribute over glasses;
- Shake tequila, cointreau and lime juice vigorously for 5 to 10 seconds and pour into glasses;
A Note about Tequila:
I know that some people consider tequila an inferior drink, driving men crazy, and causing gruesome hangovers.
This wrong image is probably caused by cheap "bulk tequila" that has nothing to do with the noble and exquisite drink that was developed with patience, hard labour, professional pride and tradition - and lots of love and passion - in the states of Jalisco and Tamaulipas in Mexico.
My advise is simple:
Stay away from cheap tequila.
Buy the best available tequila you can afford.
And most important:
Enjoy, but don't drink more than you can handle!
Hot Smoke Longdrink Menu
The friends of Hot Smoke BBQ have approved and certified these longdrink recipes, but only after extensive, repeated, thorough and passionate testing...
Longdrinks based on Rum:
Longdrinks based on Tequila:
Longdrinks - General:
Hot Smoke Cocktail Menu
Cocktails are great to kick start any party. After a few sips of a good cocktail everybody will get into the right mood.
Cocktails - General: