BBQ Party Music
I have loved music all my life. All kinds of music, but especially party music. By "Party Music" I mean to refer to "the music that just makes you feel good, whatever the mood or occasion".
There's the kind of music that gets people clapping and dancing straight away, hands in the air etcetera. Great! But there's also the kind of music that makes you just feel happy, content, or which supports the atmosphere you try to create. You may think your friends don't like country music, but throw a couple of cowboy steaks on the bbq and put on a George Strait CD, and watch what's happening...
My Favourite Music?
In the late sixties I started an everlasting love with the Blues and its younger cousin named Rock Music. At the same time I got to love R&B and Soul, and (to make matters worse...) I also flirted with Country & Western, I got to appreciate the rock-steady beat of Reggae, and got myself way deep into Tex-Mex and the swamps of Zydeco.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm not so picky when it comes to type of music. I will appreciate it as long as it's true and original stuff, as long as it's got rhythm and feeling.
Barbecue Music ?
Music is not a prerequisite for a good barbecue party. But if you want a particular atmosphere for your bbq party, the right kind of bbq music may help tremendously.
On this page we mention some music styles and titles for every kind of bbq party. Of course this is not rocket science, and if you feel different about any combination suggested here, please go for what you feel is best.
Likewise, the song titles mentioned here are to be regarded as a guideline only. Although these lists contain a compilation of very good music titles, these lists are certainly not intended to represent a absolute "best of".
The problem is, there is só much good music, and só little time to enjoy it...
What Have We Got ?
In the Blues Brothers movie, there's this music joint out in the sticks where they have bóth kinds of music.
They've got Country ánd Western.
Here at Hot Smoke BBQ we have a couple more.
- Blues & Company
- Country & Western
- Elvis and Friends
- Califormia Dreamin'
- Classic Rock
- Soul Brothers & Sisters
- Reggae, Calypso & Family
Blues & Company
The Blues. Deeply rooted in the Southern Barbecue belt, what better kind of music to accompany an Southern style barbecue than a mix of the Blues and a couple of Soulmates?
Goes along particularly well with any barbecue, especially pork ribs, beef (brisket), or chicken, for example:
BlueS moke Grilled Chicken
Prepared in this way, even the cheapest chicken will taste excellent.
Check out this Hot Smoke BBQ selection of Blues and old Rhythm & Blues. Good smokin' barbecue party music, in no particular order of precedence:
- The Allman Brothers Band - Stormy Monday
- Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
- Jimi Hendrix - Red House
- Duane Allman (feat. Derek & the Dominoes) - Nobody Knows You
- Jimmy Reed - Baby What You Want Me To Do
- Albert Collins - When a Guitar Plays the Blues
- Etta James - The Jealous Kind
- Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring it on Home
- Wilson Pickett - I'm Sorry About That
- Solomon Burke - Cry to Me
- John Lee Hooker & Canned Heat - Cuttin' Out
- Sunset Heights - Missing You (live in Houston)
Country & Western
Good old Country music. Goes along very well with any barbecue, but especially beef or chicken.
Check out this Hot Smoke BBQ selection of Country & Western. Excellent BBQ party music, in no particular order of precedence:
- Hank Williams - Cold Cold Heart
- Hank Williams Jr. - Country Boys Can Survive
- Hank Williams III - Mississippi Mud
- Johnny Cash - Ghost Riders In the Sky
- New Riders of the Purple Sage - Dim Lights, Thick Smoke
- Poco - A Good Feelin' To Know
- George Strait - All My Exes Live in Texas
- Steve Earle - Six Days On The Road
- Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn - After The Fire Is Gone
- Boxcar Willie - Blue Moon of Kentucky
- Eagles - Peaceful Easy Feeling
- Dixie Chicks - Cowboy Take Me Away
Elvis and Friends
Actually, I'm not sure if all guys mentioned below were really friends of Elvis.
What I do know though, is that it's good music, taking you back to beautiful years. And it goes along very well with any kind of barbecue, you bet.
Cool Grills at Hot Smoke BBQ
While this really is my Hot Smoke Barbecue website, and while I just love that whisp of fragrant Hot Smoke curling up from my barbecue, it's not the only kind of Hot Smoke that I'm fond of...
Check out this Hot Smoke BBQ selection of fifties music, in no particular order of precedence:
- Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock
- Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
- Bill Haley & his Comets - Rock around the Clock
- Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes
- Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again
- Roy Orbison - In Dreams
- Chuck Berry - You Never Can Tell
- Coasters - Yakety Yak
- Fats Domino - Josephine
- Johnny Cash & June Carter - Jackson
- Little Richard - Lucille
- Stevie Ray Vaughan - The House Is Rockin'
California, beautiful country, beautiful beaches, beautiful people.
California music goes along very well with low fat meat like turkey, chicken, and beef (tri-tip) or bool kogi (Korean rib-eye).
Brined & Hot Smoked Turkey
Here's your perfect Thanksgiving Turkey or Christmas Turkey. This turkey is brined and smoked for maximum juice and flavor. Suits a low fat diet perfectly!
Check out this Hot Smoke BBQ selection of California music, in no particular order of precedence:
- Doors - Light My Fire (the ultimate BBQ song !!!)
- Mamas & the Pappas - If You Go To San Francisco
- Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Suzie Q
- Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
- Buffalo Springfield - Expecting to Fly
- Eagles - Hotel California
- Rare Earth - Get Ready
- America - Horse With No Name
- Santana - Samba Pa Ti
- Doors - LA Woman
- Crosby, Nash, Stills and Young - Our House
Rock classics, always your best bet. Classic rock is universal, and goes with any barbecue.
Check out this Hot Smoke BBQ selection of Classic Rock. Some fine barbecue music, in no particular order of precedence:
- Rolling Stones - Start Me Up! (how appropriate for a BBQ!)
- Golden Earring - Radar Love
- Herman Brood & his Wild Romance - Saturday Night
- Alice Cooper - Poison
- Deep Purple - Child In Time
- Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
- Brain Box - Down Man
- Pink Floyd - One of These Days
- Paul Rodgers - The Hunter
- Van Morrison & Them - Gloria
- Kinks - Lola
- Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Soul Brothers & Sisters
If barbecue is soul food, Soul must be the music to go with it.
Soul music is particularly good company for ribs, pork shoulder or chicken.
Check out this Hot Smoke BBQ selection of sizzling hot R & BBQ music, in no particular order of precedence:
- Chi-Lites - Oh Girl
- Al Green - Full of Fire (how appropriate for a BBQ song!)
- Aretha Franklin - Ain't No Way
- Otis Redding - Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
- Eddie Floyd - Consider Me
- Wilson Pickett - 634-5789
- Don Covay - It's In The Wind
- Barry White - Can't Get Enough
- George McCrae - Rock Your Baby
- Trammps - Shout
- Ben E. King - Stand By Me
- Esther Phillips - Please Release Me
Surinam Pork Roast
In Surinam this pork roast is called Losie Agoe Metie. My friend Edgar traditionally makes it on Christmas Eve. Everybody who comes around has to taste it. And Brada! - it tastes góód!
Reggae, Calypso & Family
These rock-steady beats and rolling sounds from the sunny islands of All-Spice and Jerk go along very well with pork, chicken or fish.
Check out this Hot Smoke BBQ selection, in no particular order of precedence:
- Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry
- Burning Spear - Cry Africa Dub (Cry Blood Africa)
- Peter Tosh - Johnny B. Goode
- Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Jungle Roots Dub
- Mighty Sparrow & Byron Lee - Only A Fool
- Jimmy Cliff - Johnny Too Bad
- Chaka Demus & Pliers - Murder She Wrote
- Johnny Clarke - Stop The Dubbing
- Bob Marley & Peter Tosh - Run for Cover
- Alpha Blondy & the Solar System - Mon Pere Avait Raison
- Barrington Levy - Be Strong
- Byron Lee - Soca Butterfly